I love garage sales! You never know what you will find. Here in the Pacific Northwest we can only shop at garage sales from June till about September. The rest of the time it’s just too cold and rainy. So I love to take advantage of the good weather to get out and see what treasures I can find.
Below is a picture of my very favorite garage sale. What fun! To begin with – what a cute house! The driveway, yard and wrap around porch was packed with things to look at and to top it off it was a beautiful sunny day. Wish I could find more sales like this one.
The first thing I spotted was this darling cup and saucer. I had to have it so grabbed it right away. I also bought the bread plate behind the cup and saucer.
Then I spotted another cup and saucer. It was a little larger than the first one, but just as cute and a matching bread plate so I got that too.
At another sale, I found this cute clock and silk flowers. I love the quality of older silk flowers and plants so I like to pick them up whenever I find them.
6 Tips For Shopping at Garage Sales:
- Have a list of what you are looking for and if you’re needing furniture for a specific place, jot down the measurements and take a tape measure with you.
- Wear comfortable shoes and don’t forget the sunscreen. I very often forget this and then end up with a sunburn.
- Bring along water and snacks. Looking for treasures is thirsty work.
- If you see something you like, even if you’re not sure, pick it up. If you don’t, someone will be along behind you and snatch it up before you have a chance to go back for it. I learned this one the hard way.
- If you are interested in a glass item, run your fingers over the edges. It really easy to detect any chips or scratches this way.
- Try any electronic items before you purchase them. All sales are final.
I always look forward to going to garage sales. I’m lucky because my husband loves them as much as I do so it gives us a chance to drive around, look at houses, find a treasure or two and just enjoy spending some relaxing time together.
Let the fun begin!